6 Tips To Prevent Water Damage
Water damage is the worst. Out of necessity, you have gallons and gallons of water flowing through your home every day and with one malfunction of a pipe or compromise of a minor structure, that water can do major damage to your home. Did you know that nearly 40% of homeowners say that they have experienced loss from water damage? That’s a frightening statistic because it means that within the course of your time as a home or business owner, your chances of having to deal with it at some point are fairly high.
Fortunately, there is hope. Approximately 93% of water damage is preventable. Perhaps you’re reading this blog because you like to take initiative and protect your home. Good for you! Maybe you’ve already experienced a disaster and would like to know what you can do to avoid having to deal with another in the future. Whatever the reason, we at Restoration Pros hope that you and your Abbeville home (or business) can benefit from these 6 tips to prevent water damage:
- Pay attention to your water bill. It can tell you a lot more than just what you owe for the month, so don’t just pay it mindlessly and be done. Watch for unexpected spikes in the amount. Anticipate months that you may be spending more, and if something comes up that is unexplainable, you may be able to explain it by finding a leak somewhere.
- Check your appliances and pipes regularly. It is an investment for the future to get replacements for hoses, parts, or appliances which show signs of being compromised. Watch for discolorations, bulging, and brittleness.
- Before winter months, insulate your pipes with a product that will help prevent them from freezing, such as heat tape. As added precautions during cold months, continue to warm your home even at night and when you are on vacation, as colder temperatures can cause freezing, bursting, and water damage.
- Maintain your roof well, and frequently check your gutters and downspouts. Extensive water damage can come as a result of simply failing to clear out leaves and other obstructions in a gutter, which can cause a blockage, and erosion. Water just sitting anywhere on the surface of your home, inside or out, is a recipe for disaster.
- Take care of your drains. In case of clogs, use a drain snake as opposed to chemical drain cleaners where possible. In addition, don’t pour grease or fat down the drain as this can damage your pipes.
- Get familiar with your water source. Learn how to quickly shut off your water at a moment’s notice in case of flooding or other leakage; this precaution can save you from a lot of hassle and expense later. If you anticipate going out of town for more than a day or two, shut off your water before you go and turn it back on when you return.
Simple preventative measures can often be the key to avoiding harmful water damage. If you do find yourself in a situation where you’ve sustained water damage, be sure to call in a professional who can help you to restore your home quickly and properly, so you can avoid future expenses now and future water damage later.
If you live in the Abbeville, LA area, Restoration Pros is a professional and certified water damage restoration company that is on-call 24 hours a day to help with water damage emergencies.